Sunday, June 3, 2012

Ain't Nothing in This World That I Like Better .....




Drumroll, please !  Back on April 10, 2012 I had the audacity to plant " Better Boy " tomato and today it has made me the Tomato Queen of the Neighborhood  when it turned bright red.  The less confident neighbors have just recently set out their tomato plants.



You may have read recently on The Grumpy Gardener blog that there are actually those among us that are 'mater haters. '  There are more of them than you think. Previously, I'd never even heard, much less imagined that there were people that actually hated maters.   It is a phobia known as lycopersicoaphobia, for which there is no cure.   I believe that the movie ATTACK OF THE KILLER TOMATOES might have actually been made by one of these mater haters to try to scare the rest of us.  I'm thinking of starting my own support group called Maters Matter.


So in honor of this auspicious occasion we will listen to a love song performed by none other than John Denver. It is aptly titled HOMEGROWN TOMATOES.  Take it away, John . Johnny Tomatoseed.

   " Aint nothing in this world that I like better ...than bacon and lettuce and homegrown tomatoes .  Homegrown tomatoes, homegrown tomatoes what would life be without homegrown tomatoes ? "


3 comments:

  1. Hi Carolyn - put me in the fresh tomato loving camp and good for your taking a chance on an early crop.
    A funny thing - I have a 'Better Boy' growing, too, but not intentionally. It apparently had been mixed in with another variety and I didn't see the tag until we were home. So far, so good - but mine are still green!

    Annie at the Transplantable Rose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Annie,

      Sorry to be late in responding to your nice comment. Something has gone wrong with my comment section and I'm just getting it fixed. I'll be frying up some of my green tomatoes as soon as they get really big.

      Delete
  2. We had German Johnson and Beef Master this summer. I say "had" because the squirrels found our plants and ate every last one of our tomatoes. :( We had some big 4" ones. Don't know how we'll get any. We've tried blocking it off with deer netting. They just climb over or tear through a section. Any tips on getting rid of these critters? We've had neighbors clear their forests nearby and the squirrels came to live here. We've thought about an outdoor dog, but I don't think we're ready for another outdoor one right now. We have two little ones inside with us. They don't seem to be interested in the squirrels, unfortunately. lol.

    Enjoy your wonderful summer tomato sandwiches and salads. I've never tried fried green tomatoes. I'll have to do that sometime.

    Sheila

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...